Network and Homegroup Problems 2 PCs

elmerfudge 15:39 29 Dec 2015

I have been trying for weeks to set up a Homegroup on my 2 desktop PCs both running windows 10. PC1 will recognise PC2 but PC2 does not recognise PC1. All the appropriate services are running. NETSH Winsock, INT, and e ipconfigs have been reset/renewed but all to no avail. Both PCs will recognise the Media Devices. I have checked extensively on the Net for help. I have left the NETWORK/Homegroup and totally removed them on both PCs but all to no avail. Any advice would be most appreciated. This does appear to be a common problem but I have yet to see an answer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 29 Dec 2015

Sharing set up on Both PCs?

elmerfudge 16:08 29 Dec 2015

It is. I can see the basic Shares as per Network and Sharing Centre on both PCs and Media on both PCs. Everything is set to share on both PCs.

Forum Editor 09:48 30 Dec 2015

Have you tried switching the homegroup setup from one machine to the other?

elmerfudge 14:24 30 Dec 2015

Yes. Just spent another couple of hours and still no Network. Think it is time to admit defeat and hope that one day Microsoft will come up with some decent answers and not "I will try my best to help you with this problem"!!!!!

robin_x 14:48 30 Dec 2015

Is Network Discovery switched on (both computers)?

If you think you have tried everything, I would be tempted to make an In-place Upgrade (aka Repair Install) with the W10 iso setup.exe

elmerfudge 11:04 31 Dec 2015

Thanks for all responses. Did a reinstall last week but to no avail. It is one of those things where a simple tick in a box will sort it but unfortunately haven't found it yet.

Forum Editor 17:03 01 Jan 2016

This might seem like a silly question, so forgive me. but you have checked that both machines are actually able to communicate, haven't you? By this, I mean that they are both connected to your router, either via ethernet cables or WiFi.

If one of them is on a WiFi connection, try plugging it into the router with a cable, and see if that makes any difference.

You might be surprised at the number of times this fault is due to one or other of the machines not being in any way connected to the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?