Need help in connecting pc to external monitor...

Amith 21:39 20 Jul 2018
Answered

Pc model: HP ProOne 400 G1 AiO pc. My pc’s display was broken and I don’t have money to fix the display. But I have an external monitor. The thing is when I connect pc to the monitor (using VGA cable) it doesn’t show anything. I have to use the fn keys to change the display but I don’t know which key. I tried all the fn keys but it didn’t work. Anyone out there to help me?

rdave13 11:14 21 Jul 2018

Hopefully this will work. Boot the PC and wait a couple of minutes. Press enter. Wait a minute then type password/pin carefully and press enter. Wait again for desktop to load fully. Press F4 key then the down arrow key once. Press enter. Difficult in the dark I know.

Amith 20:28 21 Jul 2018

Thanks man I’ll try it out and see if it works...

rdave13 20:52 21 Jul 2018
Answer

I see you've selected as resolved and hopefully it's worked after a few goes. It's only a temporary measure though as you won't be able to boot to bios or safe mode as the GPU drivers will revert to basic mode and you'll end up in the same boat.

Amith 12:29 22 Jul 2018

Is there any way to change the display without logging into my account? It looks I can’t enter the password correctly without seeing what’s happening.

rdave13 14:14 22 Jul 2018

Not that I know of.

Liam Wardle 15:47 22 Jul 2018

Hi, chances are the computer is still thinking that you are using your laptop screen as the main monitor. If you allow windows to boot up you can click the space bar to go onto password screen. After that, you can press the windows key and "p" this would bring up the project screen. I know you cannot see what is going on but by keeping hold of the windows button and keep pressing the p key leaving a few seconds between each press it should eventually go to the second screen only. This will make your monitor the only display your computer will use. Hope this helped! Liam

rdave13 15:51 22 Jul 2018

Handy tip Liam Wardle - thanks. After pressing the windows key and 'p' you have to press enter.

Liam Wardle 16:02 22 Jul 2018

rdave13 Yeah that's one of the ways o you can just take your hand off of the windows button. I probably should have mentioned that!

shivaniinfo31 06:46 25 Jul 2018

ok. I will try this solution.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Quel est le meilleur Fitbit pour votre enfant ?