Hot Topics

My old Windows 7 system gets no updates yet.

vito 16:47 20 Jan 2020

Hello. There is no Window 7 updates from now. Can I use my laptop with windows 7 this year or should I buy a new one with Win10? Will it crash in some months' time? I have anti-virus Avira on it.

mikef. 17:13 20 Jan 2020

It will still work, but without security updates using it on line will get riskier and riskier

vito 17:32 20 Jan 2020

But I switched off the 'automatic update' in 2015, and since then, I have never had any security issues (I have Avira anti-virus and it updates every week).

wee eddie 17:39 20 Jan 2020

As Mike says, without Updates, your Lappy will be more at risk of Viral & Malware Attack but, a decent Antivirus should help to protect you.

However you can update it to Windows 10 for free, and then persuade W10 to appear similar to W7.

If you read through the last couple of weeks Threads, you find out: How to check whether it is capable of running W10: Where to download a free copy of W10 and: What information you need to have handy when you do.

wee eddie 17:43 20 Jan 2020

vito: In relation to your 17:32 posting. Do you remember that joke of the man who jumped off the Empire State Building, and as he fell past each floor, he said "OK so far"

Govan1x 20:38 20 Jan 2020

vito

Maybe change your username to many spammers with the same name.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Creatives in China won't find this flag on Adobe, Getty or Shutterstock

The best games on Apple Arcade

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique