My Office 2013 was deactivated by Microsoft

dtopa 19:48 08 Feb 2017

Last April (2016) I purchased Office 2013 pro from NerdsforLess and received a product key which I applied to download from MS website. A couple weeks ago this product was deactivated by MS. I could not re-apply product key either over the Internet or by phone. I talked to MS tech support who told me that MS had deactivated my Office software because the product key had been leaked and that the seller (NerdsforLess) would give me a replacement key. Bob, at NerdsforLess, denied he knew anything about the key being leaked (he actually accused me of leaking the key--yeah right, a personal, professional person is going to sell a key as opposed to a large discount reseller!) and refused to refund my purchase price or provide me with a replacement key. My question is: How can MS justify deactivating my product key when I have proof I paid for the product and there is no way to know who leaked the key? MS did not consult me on this and as far as I can tell, did not research the leaking. So how come I get screwed when I played by the rules (paying for a product and properly registering it)? Thank you for any comments.

Archonar 22:43 08 Feb 2017

Has microsoft got any evidence that the key was leaked? If not then I am unsure that there is a legal reason for them to simply remove your key without first consulting you.

dtopa 23:13 08 Feb 2017

Archonar, thanks for your observation and question. I did ask the MS agent what had happened, on what basis do they believe my product key was leaked. The agent said that they were not allowed to share any additional information (other than being deactivated). The agent did say that Nerds4Less was aware of the situation and could provide me with the details. Of course, Bob at Nerds4Less denied that he knew anything about it. I'm almost completely lacking in experience in such matters but it seems to me that if MS sees multiple people trying to register using the same product key, they would go to the seller (Nerds4Less) and ask them if they knew anything about it. Again, without any experience, I'd think that MS would say to me, if you have proof of purchase, and I was the first to register with it, and I have been a registered customer (when my business was doing well, I purchased several multi-seat licenses) for 30 years with NO accusations of using (or selling) pirated software, then MS would find a way to alleviate my pain. Or, if NerdsforLess knew there was a problem--maybe they inadvertently sold the key several times or even maybe an employee stole and sold the keys--they would do something to support the product they sold me. I would think, but seems I am wrong. Thanks again, Archonar.

Burn-it 00:10 09 Feb 2017

As to be put through to a manager at MS and explain to him/her.

wee eddie 01:13 09 Feb 2017

Can you imagine "Nerds for less" saying "Yes we sold that Number 84 times before they caught up with us."

They're about as likely to admit that as they are to refund your money

lotvic 19:14 09 Feb 2017

I had a look at site... Hmmm W10 Pro $49.99 and no MS Office at present, limited choice of anything. Nah, not somewhere I would buy from.

dtopa 00:09 10 Feb 2017

Yes, I too am beginning to believe that NerdsforLess is a shady seller. My bad for not picking up on that. Thanks for your thoughts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Honor 20 Launch Live Stream

The Best Game of Thrones creative projects inspired by the hit show

MacBook keyboard issues and other problems

Comment télécharger des films sur un iPad sans utiliser iTunes ?