My cumputer has been hacked

slaydeuk 19:34 20 Jul 2018

My desktop PC has been hacked. I have received an email telling me that some embarrasing information off my computer will be sent to everyone on my contacts list unless I pay 3000 USD by today. I have not complied and am prepared to face any embarassment. However, I don't think anything has happened so far. I would like to remove any hacked presence from my PC and a full scan by Kasperski failed to find anything. I have disconnected the desktop from my router and am using my laptop meanwhile. I have tried restoring my PC to several previous restore points, but all have failed. I am reluctant to reconnect the PC to the internet until I am reasonably sure I have removed the intruder and woud appreciate some advice on how to do this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 20 Jul 2018

Its a scam, just ignore it.

Don't open emails from anyone you don't know as that is one way to get hacked.

Secret-Squirrel 09:49 21 Jul 2018

slaydeuk, you haven't been hacked and the email is is a scam to frighten you and extort money from you. I know it's alarming but stop worrying about it. If the sender really did have some embarrassing photos of you then he would have sent you one as proof.

There are a lot of those emails around at the moment. A client of mine had one three days ago and he was so distressed that he turned his computer off till early the next morning when he could phone me.

slaydeuk 14:58 21 Jul 2018

Thanks for your responses, you've eased my mind somewhat. What concers me a bit is that she (calls herself Christie Duckett) has at least one of my passwords and claims to have installed a keylogger. She also claims to have access to my webcam, which she can't as my desktop monitor doesn't have a webcam. I have disconnected the PC from my WiFi hub and tried to restore the PC back to three different restore points to eliminate any recent malware, but they all failed. Could that be because the PC had no internet access?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 21 Jul 2018

How do you know she has one of your passords? just change it if not sure .

certain this is just a scam email. stop worrying.

slaydeuk 17:16 21 Jul 2018

She mentions the password in the subject of the email together with my email address. I have now reconnected to the internet and will change the password and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again for your help.

Secret-Squirrel 17:23 21 Jul 2018

........tried to restore the PC back to three different restore points..............., but they all failed.

If you let me know your version of Windows then I'll suggest a way that has the best possible chance of success.

Could that be because the PC had no internet access?

No, it can't affect System Restore in any way.

rdave13 20:39 21 Jul 2018

slaydeuk , as long as you don't save or bookmark any financial sites you use, on your PC, you should be okay. I always type the address in the bar for banking, shares or similar sites and never save passwords. The password the crook has correctly identified for you might have come from a site you log in, not your PC. So I would notify them of what's happened and ask how this could have come about.

Secret-Squirrel 08:42 22 Jul 2018

The password the crook has correctly identified for you might have come from a site you log in, not your PC.

slaydeuk, I agree with Dave.

Loads of different companies have been hacked in recent years, millions of email addresses and passwords were harvested, and those details are available to buy online. Just because someone knows your login details doesn't necessarily mean they hacked your computer to get them.

slaydeuk 12:05 22 Jul 2018

The particular password she used was an old one of mine and is only in use on innocuous sites eg. logging in to Holland America. I also used it to protect several folders on my computer with info I want to keep private, unfortunately including the one in which I keep a spreadsheet with all my passwords on. Needless to say, I have now changed these to a new and more complicated password. I have used the offending password for years and it was like losing an old friend. However, needs must and I feel more comfortable now. The roof hasn't yet fallen in and all seems to be well. Thanks again to all for your help.

conrail 19:21 29 Jul 2018

Hi, "I also used it to protect several folders on my computer with info I want to keep private, unfortunately including the one in which I keep a spreadsheet with all my passwords on." register with Last Pass to keep all your passwords there: click here, I am sure other members will offer other password security options, have a look and select which is best for you

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)