My 80 year old friend was hacked

Deb_G 01:53 17 Jan 2017

A scammer has fooled my 80 year old friend into giving control to her computer, using windows + R. She realises that she was duped and is now concerned about what they were doing whilst in there. We have run Bitdefender and it has found no viruses to speak of. I have saved the windows.log file, is there anything I should be checking for at the time that they had control. Is there any way to tell if they are still able to log on without her knowledge? I have a little computer knowledge but am out of my depth with knowing what and where to check. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Deb

Scott Arthur Orpwood 11:44 17 Jan 2017

it is really annoying hearing things like this there is a very good chance he was looking for passwords bank details etc if any information like that is stored on the pc in question i would get passwords etc changed to be on the safe side i have very little knowledge about remote access i have never needed to use it but i should imagine as soon as you close the program you would need to invite them back in again you say you use bitdefender? good i would also recommend a good anti malware tool also as a extra precaution i suggest looking for some good software that you can ad a extra layer of protection for you files click here knowledge is king in this day and age read up about scams there are plenty of other sites you can get advice from click here also click here and another page you might find handy click here i dont know if any of this helps

also

Jollyjohn 12:35 17 Jan 2017

First step - disconnect PC from internet.

Then go to Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a program. Look through this list and un install anything installed on the date of the remote access. Reboot the PC watch for any error messages and if none then reconnect to internet.

Burn-it 14:22 17 Jan 2017

I would also disable or remove any REMOTE access facilities within Windows. I have always been surprised that such potential security holes are enabled by default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?