ms word normal dotm issue

awest3 16:00 07 Feb 2019
Answered

Hi, I cant get my pc to use normal.dotm as the template for new documents. If I delete normal.dotm and the start word it creates a file called 'normal' with no suffix. If I rename normal to normal.dotm it then creates a new 'normal' template. The file location looks correct (word, options, advanced file locations). I'm stumped, I cant find a normal in any other library.

awest3 16:01 07 Feb 2019

sorry! should have said ms office 2016

alanrwood 16:06 07 Feb 2019

What version of Word are you using.

If 2010 then normal.dotm is usually stored in

Windows\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

If you use a later version of Word then I can't say.

awest3 16:23 07 Feb 2019

thanks for this, Its word 2016. and the file is stored in the same library as it was in 2010. I can see in the library there is a normal, no suffix file, but no normal.dotm.

alanrwood 16:38 07 Feb 2019

Sorry but I don't understand your reference to "library".

If you are trying to find it in Windows File Explorer the the default is not to show file extensions so "normal.dotm" would only show as "normal".

To see extensions go to File Explorer\View and ensure File Name Extensions is ticked on the ribbon.

Sorry if I am going up the wrong path.

wee eddie 17:44 07 Feb 2019

I think that I should point out that a "Library" is made up of Shortcuts. It is not a Folder in which Files are stored

alanrwood 19:33 07 Feb 2019

Exactly, which is why I said I was confused

lotvic 22:07 07 Feb 2019

Additional info (further to alanrwood and wee eddie's posts), Full path to normal.dotm is

This PC\OS(C:)\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

File Explorer, click on File - change Folder and search Options - click on View tab and UNtick the box 'Hide extensions for known file types'

awest3 09:40 08 Feb 2019
Answer

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem is now sorted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique