Moving windows to another laptop

Jedwinjim 20:25 26 Mar 2018

hi, basically it's time to buy a new my laptop after a few years, my current laptop (Asus zenbook ux31e) was purchased second hand and I immediately wiped windows off and installed Ubuntu. Now it's time to sell I realise I will get more money for it if I have Windows on it than I would selling it with linux or OS free. If I were to buy a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed would it be possible to transfer the Windows license/download to my zenbook (as obviously I'll be putting Ubuntu on the new one) or does it not work like that anymore? (the last time I really used Windows was in the days of getting a back-up CD-ROM and à Windows key and installing it on different machines was easy so I'm massively out of touch).

Many thanks for your help.

Joseph

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 26 Mar 2018

If windows comes on the new machine it will be an OEM license only for that machine and not transferable.

Assuming you still have the license key on a sticke forthe zen book you can download windows from click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?