microsoft updates screw thing again !

MJS WARLORD 18:01 13 Dec 2018

I just installed December 11, 2018—KB4471324 (OS Build 17134.471)

The following things happened:-

It cancelled out what netplwiz does so that you don't need to use extra passwords. Changed language settings to USA English. Changed region settings for browsing , all sites went to $$$$$ prices. Added a unknown name , more like a code to users of my pc , I deleted it. Microsoft help is already listing other know issues.

I know how to sort out all the things that have got messed up but that's not the point the things that get screwed up never used to happen.

Longhorn was a perfect example of an operating system gone wrong , it took so long to launch the product that the working name was changed to Vista and it was without a doubt the worse system ever launched. Microsoft was still releasing patches right up to the day they decided to no longer support it.

I think Microsoft need to take a long hard look at themselves I wonder if they appreciate how much damage and stress they cause to people when they screw things up.

I had considered registering for the insider program as I thought I would be one up on all my tech mates but after reading about stuff vanishing off insider users pc's their is no way I will be doing it.

Are their "insider users" reading this and if so what has gone wrong for you.

Forum Editor 18:10 13 Dec 2018

You have posted this in the wrong forum area (Speakers Corner). It should be in the Windows Help forum area, and I'm moving it now.

Forum Editor 18:16 13 Dec 2018

"Are their "insider users" reading this and if so what has gone wrong for you."

Yes I'm reading it, I am now using version 1809 build 17763.194 and nothing is wrong at all.

My last cumulative update for Windows 10 was KB4471332

MJS WARLORD 18:19 13 Dec 2018

apologies to FE I thought it should have gone to speakers corner as I am making a conversation topic and not asking a specific problem.

Forum Editor 18:22 13 Dec 2018

"I am making a conversation topic and not asking a specific problem."

You are asking about a Windows problem - your thread should be in the Windows help forum, and now it is.

mildred hunter 19:26 13 Dec 2018

Yes I'm reading it, I am now using version 1809 build 17763.194 and nothing is wrong at all.

That's because that version is available to everyone who has the October Update and who have applied KB4471332. Its not an Insider Preview.

mildred hunter 19:30 13 Dec 2018

I had considered registering for the insider program as I thought I would be one up on all my tech mates but after reading about stuff vanishing off insider users pc's their is no way I will be doing it.

I wouldn't take the risk and run a Beta OS on my one and only mission critical device. I use a second machine.

lotvic 21:42 13 Dec 2018

MJS WARLORD, good thing you've got (at least) two Windows 10 pcs and keep them well backed up.

Comments on problems, experiences, etc seem to be all on another Thread click here don't know how many of them are "insider users" but the "insider users" are the ones that are supposed to report the bugs so they can be fixed before releasing to the masses LOL

I don't see how it's resonable/possible to expect MS to cater 100% for all the hardware variations, 3rd party program installs, modding of, and users that have 'tinkered' with the Op Sys.

lotvic 21:44 13 Dec 2018

typo: resonable = reasonable

Forum Editor 22:49 13 Dec 2018

mildred hunter

"Its not an Insider Preview."

I didn't say it was, although in retrospect I can see why you might have thought otherwise.

lotvic has it right when he says "I don't see how it's resonable/possible to expect MS to cater 100% for all the hardware variations, 3rd party program installs, modding of, and users that have 'tinkered' with the Op Sys."

Microsoft says that there are around 400 million machines running Windows 10. If that's the case, there is simply no way that any operating system update can be guaranteed to run flawlessly on every machine - you simply can't test for anything approaching the number of different software/hardware device combinations.

Saying (as MJS WARLORD does) that "the things that get screwed up never used to happen." simply isn't true. In relative terms it has happened to a greater or lesser degree with every version of Windows since Windows 95.

I say 'in relative terms' because of course back then there were far fewer computers in the world, far fewer third-party software releases, and far fewer exploits etc. to deal with.

[DELETED] 00:09 14 Dec 2018

MJS WARLORD I think you were a tad unlucky. Shouldn't be an issue as you're an old hand at backups and can easily revert to a previous image. Running 1809 since October 3rd on two machines and one from the 6th. Two Intel and one AMD. No data loss or any other problems as reported. 11th Dec Cumulative KB4471332 installed smoothly. As modern Windows is all about security and also features, a service if you like, I no longer think it wise to set netplwiz to remove the need for password or pin etc., even if you lived in the North Pole by yourself. That's my opinion only as even one vulnerable PC that can be booted without a pin/Password can be used for malware/bots etc.

Insider 18298 version on a 9 YO bios machine and no huge problems so far. You should join if you can create images and don't care a hoot about your data.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf