microsoft service files have stopped working

John.W 17:48 12 Oct 2015

I have recently installed windows 10 from 8.1 and when I look in the MSconfig I noticed that about half the micorsoft service files have stopped working. How do I restart these files

John.W 18:19 12 Oct 2015

In the event viewer I have over 1000 events of problems since I upgraded of various messages under each sub catagory of application/security/setup and system

"Windows" help people called me (out of the blue) and offered to sell me a service to fix all my problems. The laptop is working okay, but a little slow

Should I be concerned ???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 12 Oct 2015

"Windows" help people called me (out of the blue) and offered to sell me a service to fix all my problems.

I hope you didn't allow them access to your computer as this is a scam, Microsoft do not offer help over the phone!

They download remote access and all sorts of crap that makes a machine slow and steals passwords and account information.

John.W 21:06 12 Oct 2015

Thanks. It must admit it didnt sound correct so I changed my passwords immediately regardless. Should I be worried about all the microsoft files not working in the MSconfig though ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:16 12 Oct 2015

which bit are you looking in and what do you mean by "not working"

if your looking at the services tab there will be alot of things showing stopped

John.W 21:30 12 Oct 2015

yes I am looking at the services tab and about 50-60 files are shown as not working. Is this normal ?

In the event viewer I am generating an awful lot of errors (1000+) in under a week under each of that tabs listed above. Is this also normal? or are they related.

It has all happened since I upgraded to windows 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:47 12 Oct 2015

Yes its normal - they will start when required, unless disabled, you can see their status if you highlight and right click select properties, some will be set to automatic others to manual.

this site Black viper gives a list of the default settings and what you could change them to to make windows faster / safer - don't mess unless you know what your doing disabling some services will stop things like your connection to the internet / or even crash the system.

if they all ran all of the time your machine would be at a crawl.

What sort of things are showing in event viewer?

One thing to try is to type

sfc /scannow

in the search box and let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows files - this may solve some of your problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review: Hands-on

How to add texture to hand-drawn artworks

Best free iPad apps 2018

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?