Microsoft Office 2016 Outlook update kills images

tallboy 22:50 25 Oct 2019

I run MS Office 2016 Outlook on a 64-bit Windows 10 system. Everything was running just fine until Microsoft imposed an update to Outlook earlier this week. Now I can't get any of the images associated with Outlook email messages! I have unticked the appropriate boxes under File / Options / Trust Center as indicated by MS to get my images back, but alas, still no images. Is there somewhere else that Microsoft sets as a default to 'kill' image in emails? If anyone knows how to restore 'normal' operation (i.e. see images) please respond. Thanks.

x13 13:31 26 Oct 2019

Something changed the registry perhaps? as I found this article - click here .

tallboy 17:41 26 Oct 2019

Thanks for the suggestion x13. I checked the appropriate section of the registry and the required DWORD was not present, so I added it and set the value to 1. Alas, this didn't fix the problem, so I still can't see images in Outlook 2016. Any further suggestions? p.s. Fortunately, I also run eM Client; no problems there!

x13 18:45 26 Oct 2019

Try a simple reboot if you're using fast startup.

tallboy 22:53 26 Oct 2019

Hi again x13. I tried a reboot after I changed the registry - but that didn't fix the problem!

x13 23:13 26 Oct 2019

This 2017 article suggests moving the Temporary Internet Files folder. Link

The old Control panel - Internet Options - Under General tab - Browsing history - settings - then Move Folder. You could try your downloads folder.

tallboy 16:33 27 Oct 2019

Thanks for the further post x13. I first created a new 'Temporary Internet Files' under Downloads and then went to the Control Panel to change the image location to the new folder. After a restart, Windows indicated it had created a new 'Temporary Internet Files' folder below my new folder. However, even when I started Outlook (still no images!) and looked for the folder (with Hidden Folders showing) the new Windows-created folder was not there and my new folder just said 'This Folder is Empty'. Presumably, that gives an indication of why there is a problem in showing images in Outlook - if Windows can't create a folder to store them in. If I click on the Red X in any Outlook message having images, the image displays in a web browser. Fortunately, eM Client still displays them. Any further ideas? Thanks for all the suggestions.

x13 18:06 27 Oct 2019

Try opening Windows Powershell (admin) and run this command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . Check it completes successfully then run the command sfc /scannow (remember the space or just copy and paste) . Once run then reboot and try again. Check to see if that helps and the temp folder should be back at C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Running out of suggestions except of an in-place upgrade/repair of Windows. Link . If you are going to try it then make a backup image first. I'd run the setp.exe from a downloaded .iso file personally. Make sure you select to keep files and apps obviously. Let us know how you get on.

x13 18:10 27 Oct 2019

PS there was no need to create the temp folder manually as Windows would have done it automatically.You might have confused thing by doing so.

Secret-Squirrel 09:26 28 Oct 2019

Everything was running just fine until Microsoft imposed an update to Outlook earlier this week.

In that case, uninstalling that update should fix things:

Head over to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Uninstall an update (little link, top-left). If you can't identify the specific update with 100% certainty then Google its KB number.

That won't prevent Windows from installing that update again at a later date but it may be more successful the second time around.

tallboy 10:46 28 Oct 2019

Many thanks for your further post x13 & also your secret-squirrel. I did as you suggest x13 & ran DISM in an Elevated PowerScreen window, followed by sfc /scannow. Since these runs indicated that there were some errors, I decided to go back to the image I made on 13th September and update files from there, as I figured this would be quicker (if it solved the problem) than continually trying different fixes. It worked! I now have images displaying again with Outlook 2016 messages and have restored the Windows and application updates so that everything is up-to-date. Thanks again for your help / posts.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans TV (2019)