Malware and 0x80070005 System Restore error

Ron Eccles 16:43 02 Aug 2019

My computer has been infected by malware. I have run Malwarebytes and it has found 25 instances of it and has quarantined them and deleted them. However the infection has taken over all my documents and photos etc and even though Malwarebytes has done it's job, I cannot access them. I have tried System Restore in normal and safe mode, but I keep getting the 0x80070005 error stating that my system has not been restored because the problem may be my anti virus is switched on. I have turned them off and done a Restore again, but it still says the same. Any idea how I can retrieve all my documents and files etc? I am not very computer savvy, so in plain English if you can. Thanks.

grumpy old man 23:00 02 Aug 2019

ok before I go to bed this MIGHT be worth a try , as you cant get into certain files just delete them and empty recycle bin. Next try this trick , download recuva a free program , it finds everything you have ever got rid of , when it find things you might find they have funny names or codes , just trawl through everything you just might be able to get back everything I told you to delete , and in theory they should come back uninfected , lets face it Ron your stuffed so anything is worth a try.

wee eddie 23:25 02 Aug 2019

Just dump the Hard Drive and start again.

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble

Secret-Squirrel 08:42 03 Aug 2019

.............and running Superantispyware full lifetime........

It's clearly let you down badly so you should ditch it. Kaspersky, Avast, and AVG all have free versions that have excellent proven detection and removal capabilities.

I have back up of a lot,

That's a relief but make sure you sort out a different AV solution before you connect the backup drive to your computer.

By the way, Grumpy's advice won't restore your files so don't waste your weekend trying Recuva or any other undelete program.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4