Malawareytes and Defender possible conflict

john bunyan 17:04 15 Jan 2018
Answered

I have a modern Desktop and an old laptop. Both are on Windows 10 version 1709. Both have Defender as a/v and Malwarebytes Premium as anti malware. The Desktop is fine running both. Today on the laptop I noticed that MBAM was showing in the action centre as the only anti virus. Defender would not switch on. Dr Google suggested that in MBAM settings ,under Windows action centre, I click on the second option down , not the first as on the desktop. Desktop option says "Let MBAM apply the best action centre settings based on your settings" whereas to get Defender going on the laptop I had to apply the second setting down which says" Never register MBAM in the action centre"

Will keep an eye on it but I would welcome comments from MBAM / Defender users

rdave13 17:11 15 Jan 2018

That's my setting in MBAM in Win 10 preview version. There have been a lot of security issues/updates lately which might have upset the apple cart. Still working OK using that setting.

john bunyan 17:48 15 Jan 2018

rdave13

Thanks; curious that it works with option 1 on desktop but not on laptop?

rdave13 18:16 15 Jan 2018

Manually check for updates for both, on the laptop, could help. Just set MBAM back to ' apply the best...' and is now not making Defender disable itself.

john bunyan 19:53 15 Jan 2018

Thanks - will try tomorrow

Govan1x 22:59 15 Jan 2018

Older thread same sort of subject.

Click Here

john bunyan 15:21 17 Jan 2018

Having updated MBAM to new version, Defender works even with the MBAM option 1 selected. Now have a problem with the latest W 10 update that fails to install on the old laptop. Will try the troubleshooter. Maybe connected with intel issues? Otherwise will try with MBAM disabled as Defender is said to be compatible with the update. Worked on desktop with MBAM running , though, after Intel issues solved.

john bunyan 17:16 17 Jan 2018
Answer

At last all solved on old laptop after running Troubleshooter in System, Update and security. I suspect it cleared out old issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?