Making Ethernet the default connection

Caterm 18:30 24 Jun 2018

I’ve tried lots of suggestions that i’ve found online for making your computer use the Ethernet as a default connection over my very ropey WiFi, but none of them have worked. I have a pc that runs on Windows 10 and am really anxious to get it sorted. The most common suggestion is to change the provider order in Advanced Settings, but the three possibilities listed don’t included WiFi or Ethernet. Instead, they’re Microsoft Windows Network, Web Client Network and Microsoft Remote Desktop Session Host Server. Sometimes, when I switch the PC on, it automatically goes to Ethernet - happy days. But other days, like today, it’s useless WiFi.
Any suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks, Cate

Govan1x 00:12 25 Jun 2018

Didable the wifi connection on the computer that has the ethernet connection.

That's the easiest way to do it.

Secret-Squirrel 08:41 25 Jun 2018

Caterm, following on from G's suggestion, head over to Settings -> Network & Internet -> WiFi. At the top of that page move the slider for your WiFi connection to the off position. It's as simple as that.

Taff™ 08:22 27 Jun 2018

Even easier - Turn on Aeroplane Mode! One click to turn back on if you have a WiFi Printer.

Caterm 09:20 27 Jun 2018

Many thanks for your suggestions. I had previously tried switching off the WiFi, therefore forcing the Ethernet connection to take priority but what I hadn’t realised was that I then needed to restart the computer. I have now down Both things and the internet - via Ethernet - is working consistently and successfully. Many thanks again, Cate

BT 17:35 27 Jun 2018

I had previously tried switching off the WiFi, therefore forcing the Ethernet connection to take priority but what I hadn’t realised was that I then needed to restart the computer.

My HP laptop has a function on the F12 button that turns the WiFi on and off. Doesn't seem to need a restart.

Taff™ 18:28 27 Jun 2018

There you go - Even easier than Airplane mode! LOL

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple