is a loud fan expected with Windows 10?

bobby1818 14:16 03 Sep 2018

Hi, I recently bought the ASUS VivoBook S15 S510UQ Laptop which has the following spec:

Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz 8GB DDR4 + 256GB SSD

I've removed all the bloatware and done the best practices listed to reduce the amount of resources Win 10 uses. Once I open 4 tabs on Google Chrome the laptop fan powers up quite loud. I check the task manager and Google Chorme is taking about 40% of the memory. I tried to strip it down and tried Firefox, but still the memory is 40-60%.

My laptop is about 2 weeks old, is this the norm with Windows 10 or is my processor not good enough? I did a lot bit of research was told my processor should be enough for my needs.

I run quite a few apps at once like Skype/slack/spoitfy/notes/chrome. I did these on my last laptop which had a slower processor and everything was fine, although that laptop was Windows 7.

callmejacklogan 17:40 03 Sep 2018

There's many problems in Windows 10 Pro, I too faced problems like automatically shutting down without any problem, over-heating, an increased fan speed (sometimes). But as soon as I changed the OS to Windows 7 Professional, everything is alright.

bobby1818 19:45 03 Sep 2018

Thanks for that, can you roll back from Win 10 to 7 without having to pay for Win 7?

Old Deuteronomy 20:11 03 Sep 2018

Thanks for that, can you roll back from Win 10 to 7 without having to pay for Win 7?

As it was a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, no, you will have to pay for a Windows 7 license and there is no guarantee you will be able to get the necessary drivers to make it work.

wee eddie 21:55 03 Sep 2018

Is it on your lap or a table top?

bobby1818 09:22 04 Sep 2018

It's always on a table so the fan has enough room to breath

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)