Lost most of my Windows 10 USB2 ports !

SidCowans33 18:51 28 Mar 2019

Yesterday I lost all of my USB2 ports front and back of my Windows 10 Desktop PC.

I'm limping along with a single USB3 port I installed last year which is still functioning.

I have tried removing all USB devices and that did nothing.

I have tried to uninstall all USB devices in Device Manager but could only remove most, not all, because removing (uninstalling) one of them brought all the others back again !

I haven't installed anything strange in recent days. I have run CC Cleaner on the Registry.

Device Manager shows FOUR USB items with yellow exclamation marks. They are all variations of "Intel(R) 631xESB/6321ESB/3100 Chipset USB Universal Host Controller" with 268A, 2689, 268B and 268C after the. Strangely enough, the identical item with "- 2688" is working fine !

The four failing items show .......

"This device cannot start. (Code 10). Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API. Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details."

I've run out of ideas ..... can anybody help ?

lotvic 19:25 28 Mar 2019

Try a full shutdown by holding down the shift key while clicking on shut down, it takes a bit longer to actually shut itself down as it clears away the debris. This seems to unclog/clear/reset the tangled Windows drivers.

SidCowans33 20:55 28 Mar 2019

Tried that one (twice) but it made no difference - Device Manager still shows the same problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Pantone has invented 294 new colours

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Google Pixel 4 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs