Lost Homegroup password on small network

AGCDay 17:29 12 Jan 2017
Answered

All three of the devices on my small network running on Windows 10 tell me there is a homegroup I can join. None of them seems to be the 'home' PC. I can only think I set it up on a previous PC which I no longer have. How can I cancel this phantom homegroup so that I can set up a proper one for my three devices?

Procrastinus 10:40 13 Jan 2017

Try on all machines: Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > HomeGroup > Leave the HomeGroup. Then restart a new HomeGroup.

AGCDay 10:55 13 Jan 2017

Thanks for your reply, but my problem is that none of them are currently members of the homegroup - all three of them just get an invitation to join the homegroup that has been set up - but I have no idea of the password. As I no longer have the original 'host' of the homegroup, I cannot see how to find that password, but because it is still floating in the system somehow, nor can I set up a new one. (Maybe I have exacerbated the problem because I called my new PC by the same ID as its predecessor)

Procrastinus 12:38 13 Jan 2017

Try: Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > HomeGroup > View or print password.

Shane_Hood 13:30 13 Jan 2017

My new windows 10 laptop processing is too slow...what should i do Mr. Procrastinus

lotvic 14:54 13 Jan 2017

Shane_Hood, if you have a problem, start your own thread. Do not hijack someone else's thread.

AGCDay 16:28 13 Jan 2017

I don't have that option. The only options I have are 'Join now', 'Change Advanced Sharing Options' 'Start the Homegroup Troubleshooter' When I do that I am told it might b a networking problem, but when I then troubleshoot the network it comes up with nothing. I have tried sharing files over the network, but although that works well in some directions, in others I can only see the Default user folders - which are empty.

Procrastinus 20:38 13 Jan 2017

Sorry - out of ideas. Good luck!

AGCDay 22:52 13 Jan 2017

Thanks for your attempts, Procrastinus. Could you point me to a link which would give me details of how to set up file sharing of documents via the network. I have been tweaking settings in File Explorer, in Network and Sharing centre... and I may have set up conflicts there. As I said, it seems to work in some directions, but in others I can only access the Default user. Is there a site / document which simply lists how these should be set...? Thanks, anyway.

Procrastinus 09:56 14 Jan 2017

I can only point you to some sites I found by googling 'How to share files over a windows 10 network' such as: click hereand click here and so on!

AGCDay 15:35 15 Jan 2017
Answer

Thank you, Procrastinus. I will work through thses and hopefully my problem will be solved. Many thanks Alison

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)