lost files after windows update

dbjustaddwater 00:50 03 Jun 2019

Windows 8.1 recently updated itself automatically.All my photos and most of my documents are now missing. Some of them are still there but only as shortcuts which doesnt allow you access the folder, i.e. it just says shortcut is not available. Any thoughts anyone?

KEITH 1955 11:10 03 Jun 2019

This happened last year on a faulty major update on windows 10 which was eventually pulled by Microsoft. The best advice I can give is for you to note the number of the update you think may have caused the problem and then google problem with kb* .

btw you may have had other problems that you have not yet discovered , open word and type @ with shift and the correct key , did it print @

go on web and go to say amazon , does it show dollar prices.

if you get the wrong symbols in word go to language and region settings and reinstall the uk English pack , you will also see settings for web on this page , after making changes do a restart for all software to recognise you made the changes.

Taff™ 12:34 03 Jun 2019

Use Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users

Is there another profile with your user name and are your files in that?

dbjustaddwater 13:14 04 Jun 2019

Thanks for the replies. Tried finding any info on the update to no avail. The @ is correct and all money is in pounds

Looked in users and there are three folders, myself and TEMP and public. None of which have any photos or documents in.

I think its time to format and start again. Thanks again for trying to give me a solution

KEITH 1955 13:24 04 Jun 2019

did you try what I said about typing the name of a photo or photo folder into the search box.

example , I go to Cromarty in Scotland every year and if I type Cromarty into the search box it brings up a list of all Cromarty folders with individual dates plus their location.

dbjustaddwater 00:37 07 Jun 2019

Hi, I have tried all the solutions mentioned but to no avail

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware Area 51m review

Serif just launched its InDesign killer Affinity Publisher

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2019)