Lost file whilging and dropping

phyllis2 13:27 29 Dec 2016

My PC was zapped by lightning so I plugged the external hard drive into my laptop and when trying to drag and drop a file from external drive to C drive in windows explorer I lost it. Have tried system restore and numerous searches to no avail - any solutions please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:04 29 Dec 2016

Never cut drag or drop always copy and verify before deleting files

you probably need to use recovery software such as REcuva to try and find he file do not do any write operations on the external drive as the file might get overwritten.

lotvic 16:12 29 Dec 2016

The file should still be on the external hard drive, because when you 'drag and drop' from one drive to another drive Windows makes a copy of the file and the original still exists.

Burn-it 16:30 30 Dec 2016

That depends on how it is specifically set up and what the devices are. It is safer to do the copy first.

Jollyjohn 17:14 30 Dec 2016

Totally agree with Fruit Bat - ALWAYS copy and paste - verify file in new location before deleting. Also if a folder, confirm subfolders and contents have moved before deleting original.

Recuva should find the file for you.

Purple Sue 19:39 31 Dec 2016

Have you looked in all folders? It may have dropped in the wrong place. I suspect it will still be there somewhere. recycle bin may be an option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?