long delay in booting HP laptop

tonygold 08:27 18 Apr 2018

hi all it seems to be getting worse!! HP Envy laptop model: 15-ah150na windows 10 version 1709 2TB hard drive with only 250GB used.

to get to a usable google chrome start page from bootup is now taking over 5 minutes (up from the slow 3 minutes of last week. when i first got the laptop (about a year ago), bootup was well under a minute.

i have checked startup programs and very few there (windows defender is the main one), disabled the rest. once up and running the laptop performs as it should but this slow boot is driving me mad if i need to switch on quickly just to check something online briefly!!

any help would be appreciated. i do not have any discs with this machine and do not fancy having to reinstall everything if possible!

many thanks.

rdave13 08:46 18 Apr 2018

Try turning of fast start-up. This sometimes causes trouble. Go to control panel, find power options, select 'choose what the power button does', 'change settings that are currently unavailable', and untick Turn on fast start-up (recommended). Then reboot. See if that helps.

tonygold 09:00 18 Apr 2018

hi rdave the option to turn on fast start-up was already unticked. i also tried disenabling google sync in my start up programs but that made no difference. only 2 items enabled in start up now - 'windows defender notification icon' and 'classic start menu'.

thanks for your suggestion though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:17 19 Apr 2018

Slow boot win 10

1. Disable FAstboot
  2. Update graphics driver
  3. Make sure you have plenty of virtual memory (make sur your op system partition has 20% free space)
  4. Disable high impact programs on start (msconfig - startup tab)
  5. Make sure you AV or antimalware is not doing a startup scan or windows is indexing your drives.
  6. Turn off the Linux terminal BASH if you don't know what this is then its unlikely you have it switched on)
  7. Fresh install win 10
  wiganken2 09:09 19 Apr 2018

If it was OK and now it is not then something caused it and it may be a program you installed. If you can think back to when it started then look into any programs/apps you installed just before the problem started. You can see the installation date in Installed Programs window. See if uninstalling that program fixes it. You can always re-install it if it doesn't work.

tonygold 09:14 19 Apr 2018

i actually think it may have happened on a previous windows update. i think it's been getting worse since december-ish but i can't be sure.

MJS WARLORD 18:31 20 Apr 2018

I only have realtek audio manager in my start up menu , the av starts up without an entry in msconfig.

bring up task manager and the top items in the list are what is running now , do you see anything running you don't recognise.

check add/remove for stuff you don't recognise , also on add/remove look top right and you will see a link to the old style add/remove( called programs and features) look at this as well because the new style w10 add/remove does not always list everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Test : iPad Pro 11 pouces (2018)