A little problem with PCA using Firefox

Govan1x 10:53 16 Dec 2016
Answered

Top left of the address bar beside the arrows there is a little circle with an i in the middle and when I click on that I get PCA Connection not secure.

Underneath there is another box which says permissions. You have not granted this site any special permissions.

I have set Firefox to delete cookies on shutdown could this be the cause.

Govan1x 10:55 16 Dec 2016

Oops should have put this in the helproom probably an easy solution and will be able to green tick in a short while.

Govan1x 12:26 16 Dec 2016

Your connection to this site {PCA ]is not Private. Information submit can be viewed by others.{ Like passwords, messages credit cards etc .

That's the scary bit. Anyone any ideas how to solve this.

Pine Man 13:19 16 Dec 2016
Answer

There is nothing to solve. This is forum is a public site and everything you submit to it is intended to be read by others.

Confidential information is only submitted to sites that are secure and when you log on to them the information contained within the 'i' changes to acknowledging that the site is secure.

Govan1x 14:13 16 Dec 2016

Ok Pineman tried another Forum that I sometimes use and get a secure connection on that.

I would have thought that the warning that they could get into your passwords or credit cards applied to PCA only or why would they issue it. It could very well be the latest version of Firefox that is causing the problem.

But as you say it is not a problem so will class this as resolved. Thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 18:34 16 Dec 2016

Information submit can be viewed by others.{ Like passwords...... That's the scary bit.

It is a tad scary because when we login to PCA it's not a secure connection so our usernames and passwords are sent across the Internet unencrypted.

It probably won't be the end of the world though if some rogue captured our forum details.

Govan1x 19:01 16 Dec 2016

True Secret-Squirrel they certainly will not learn anything from my posts.

I have a poor memorey especially for e-mail addresses and mostly passwords so tend to store them on Firefox. Just deleted a few that should not have been on there so will leave the rest.

Like you say probably no big deal it was just the first time that I noticed it so was a bit worried.

Bazzaman 16:30 17 Dec 2016

Not unique to Firefox. Chrome has a very similar i in a circular in the same sort of location (on non-secure sites), serving the same purpose.

If one goes to a secure (https) site it changes to a green padlock.

If the site is attempting to be secure, but Chrome deems it fails in some way, one get's a red triangle with an exclamation mark and the https is red and crossed through. Maybe FF does similar.

Forum Editor 23:22 17 Dec 2016

In common with hundreds of other internet forums, we don't run a secure server because this is not a transaction site. No financial information passes from you to us.

It is never a good idea to allow your browser to remember passwords in any case.

Govan1x 11:19 18 Dec 2016

[It is never a good idea to allow your browser to remember passwords in any case.]

I have to admit this is true but wonder how many still do it for this site.

I usually keep them in a book and then cannot remember where the book is. So yes guilty as charged I do tend to store some of my not important Email addresses and passwords on certain browsers.

Now I did see when checking the other day that my bank details were on it and I know that I would not have done that intentionally so that got removed straight away. So pays to check every now and then what you have stored on your browser.

Forum Editor 17:12 18 Dec 2016

"...pays to check every now and then what you have stored on your browser."

Just set your browser not to store any sensitive information. Mine is also set to delete my browsing history every time it is closed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?