Laptop won't start after Windows update

Scotty976 10:35 01 Oct 2019

Hello,

My Dell inspiron 15 5000 laptop (only 18 months old and bought from Currys) won't start up after I tried to update Windows when this was flagged as being out of date. This appeared to update 100% but then I started getting this issue.

Most of the time it just shows a black screen with the Dell logo and circle motion (see photo) as if its about to start up but it never does, just gets stuck at this stage for hours.

I've tried force shutting it down and restarting by pressing and holding the laptop power button.

This has resulted in a couple of different screens on occasion but mostly it reverts back to the black screen described above.

I did follow the Dell Support Assistant system scan prompts (when it appeared on one of my force restarts) to check for any Hardware issues but none were found (see other photos).

This then opened up the 'SupportAssit OS Recovery' which detected a failure during start up: 'Error description: OSBOOTFAILURE'. I clicked to repair files and no issues were detected.

I then just restarted.

Another screen which has appeared both during this latest issue and a few weeks ago is a blue screen saying: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and them we'll restart for you. For more information about this issue and possible fixes, visit click here you call a support person, give them this info: Stop code: REFERENCEBYPOINTER"

I don't want to do a factory reset as I've got important files not backed up.

Any ideas what this issue is and how to go about fixing it up ithout losing any files?

Thanks

Scott

If

Govan1x 15:43 07 Oct 2019

update 100%'

Then it has to install it.Maybe let it run overnight to see if it installs.

I don't suppose using cmd and doing a system restore would work.

x13 18:11 07 Oct 2019

If you have another PC/Laptop download Macrium reflect free. click here . Create a rescue USB drive as here then boot the Dell from the rescue media and repair the boot on the drive. There's no need to add drivers when you create it as it's for another PC. Check that the Dell's first boot order in the BIOS will be USB. It takes a little bit of time for it to boot from as it has a lot to load so be a bit patient.

beingdinu 17:22 08 Oct 2019

Try to boot the system to Safe mode with networking, and try to run a system restore, It seems that we have a compatibility problem with Updates.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)