Laptop (Win 10, 1809) Slow to Boot Up

AroundAgain 12:37 23 Jan 2019

As the subject suggests, my laptop has (again) started to take a long time to boot up. I've checked in the Start Up (Task Manager) and there is little listed as I've disabled unnecessary programs.

However, in Processes, even with no programs running (ie specific apps that I've opened), there are a huge number of processes running. Some of these would appear to be related to programs I'm not intentionally running at the time, ie all 'tasks' closed, ready to shut device down.

Can anyone help me work out which of these processes I can 'disable', even though they aren't listed in StartUp or are Disabled in StartUp, please?

Many thanks. Any help is much appreciated, as usual :)

rickf 17:50 01 Feb 2019

May be a silly suggestion but has the disc been defragmented and have you done a disc clean in MS?

AroundAgain 18:41 01 Feb 2019

hI GUYS

In a rush but, just to let you know, rickf, "May be a silly suggestion but has the disc been defragmented and have you done a disc clean in MS?" is not a silly question at all.

Answer is, never given it a thought!!! I'll do that tomorrow, when I've got some time. Many thanks for the 'silly' suggestion - Never a silly question - only silly answers!!! ;)

SS, thanks for your comments. Shame, in a way, that there's nothing to see what's causing the issue but at least eliminated checking that out ;) Many thanks

Secret-Squirrel 11:43 02 Feb 2019

Julie, have you considered using Sleep instead of Shutdown? While your laptop is slumbering it only uses the tiniest amount of power, and when you awaken it, your laptop will resume and be perky in just a few seconds.

By the way, Windows 10 defrags mechanical hard drives in the background on a weekly schedule so it's unlikely that you'll see any benefits in running it manually.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?