Laptop suddenly disabled- nothing works ??

IanS1 08:50 31 Aug 2019

Guys, I'd really appreciate if anyone can give me some insight to the following problem -

• yesterday for no apparent reason I seemed to have unintentionally disabled my laptop (Acer Swift-3, running Windows 10), ie everything just stopped working … mouse clicks did nothing, and the keyboard had no effect. Repeatedly powering Off & On also had no effect.

I had the impression that I must have unintentionally pressed some combination of keys that had disabled the laptop. Is that possible?

After repeatedly powering Off & On, and trying every possible key combination, suddenly after about 40 mins everything started worked normally again … it seemed as if I had finally hit upon the correct keystrokes to resume normal functions.

Question – what do you think could have happened there? Is there some combination of keystrokes or mouse clicks that could disable everything like that?

wee eddie 09:33 31 Aug 2019

Whatever caused the Problem.

Backup - Backup - Backup.

An External Hard Drive can be bought for less than £50 and then Google "Backup Software free" will give you a wealth of choices.

Jollyjohn 10:16 01 Sep 2019

I experienced a similar issue on Thursday morning. Laptop took 45 minutes to become useable. Did manage to get task manager open and CPU was running at 90 - 100% RAM 75% and 60% Disk activity. Wouldn't sort so not 100% sure what was causing it but at least one Windows update related service was running. After a restart it is now working fine.

Govan1x 11:20 01 Sep 2019

Jollyjohn

There was a couple of Windows updates on thursday. So maybe it was downloading them.

stevenbartelt 09:22 12 Sep 2019

Most people think that a computer has to be operated with the mouse and that, if you cannot use a mouse, you cannot use your computer. This is not the case. In fact, not only can your computer be operated entirely from the keyboard, but doing so can often be faster and easier than using the mouse.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)