Laptop Storage Issue - dead space???

Gareth Westwater 12:18 22 Dec 2016

I have had my (windows) laptop for about 4 years now. At first it was excellent, I had 1 tb of space and slowly this has filled up over the years. However, I recently did a huge clear out but not much seems to have changed.

When I go into settings and then storage it says '639 GB used out of 674 GB' (I'm not sure where the rest of my 1tb has gone). Under further inspection the vast majority of this is classed as'other' - a total of 411GB.

When I look into this category it simply says

'These are some of the largest folders we couldn't characterise.

These folders might contain important files that help your PC run well. Select one to manage it in file explorer.'

Unfortunately there is only one folder here (C:\SWSetup) which takes up more than 1GB. The total of all the listed folders in here takes up less than 3.3 GB.

Where has all of my storage gone and how can I get it back?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 22 Dec 2016

HP laptop? SWsetup is the software that comes with the HP laptop.

Use CCleaner free to remove temporay files and internet cache.

Burn-it 16:21 22 Dec 2016

Empty the recylce bin??

john bunyan 16:41 22 Dec 2016

Have a look and see how many restore points you have and delete all but the latest 2. (Via CCleaner, Tools, Restore points)

Gareth Westwater 16:41 22 Dec 2016

The recycle bin was already empty from my large clear out. I have defragmented and cleared all temp files already and internet cache, but thanks for the suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 22 Dec 2016

windows .old folder ? an be deleted

Gareth Westwater 17:19 22 Dec 2016

Using CCleaner I've found that a lot of space taken up was by videos, but there are still 268,914 MB of 'other files' in the disk analyser. Unfortunately itt doesn't show the names or locations of the files again.

There doesn't seem to be a 'restore points' part in the version of CCleaner I downloaded. When I click on tools the options are;

uninstall

Startup

Browser Plugins

disk analyser

duplicate finder

System restore

drive wiper

Again thanks for all the suggestions!

john bunyan 17:40 22 Dec 2016

Go to system restore option - if you have restore point they will show there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?