Laptop not loading home screen

hb23 14:05 15 Dec 2018

When I turn my laptop on, it’s super slow and takes a while to load. When it’s finally loaded onto the home screen it freezes and none of the icons come up. Anyone know what I can do to fix it?

wee eddie 14:20 15 Dec 2018

Tell us more about your laptop. Make, Model, age, OS, Anti Virus, Maintenance Routines, that kind of thing

hb23 14:36 15 Dec 2018

It’s about 3-4 years old and a Toshiba C50-A-19T. Has Norton anti-virus software installed.

MJS WARLORD 14:51 15 Dec 2018

look in reliability monitor and see what errors are logged , if you don't understand the comments google them. what do you have in the start menu , I only have realtec audio driver in it , my av autostarts. do you have entries in start up menu for things you no longer have installed , if you do then untick them because windows will hang a long time to try and find the programs you don't have. run Malwarebytes , if it finds anything you must do repeat scans till it finds nothing. have you just tried turning on your pc and just left it alone to see if your icons due appear , if they do eventually appear you could have something running in the background that is delaying things. look in add remove for anything you don't recognise.

[DELETED] 18:13 15 Dec 2018

I'm assuming Windows 10. Boot up the laptop and while it is slowly loading then press and hold the power button to shut down. You might have to do it a few times. You should eventually get to the Advanced Startup Options screen. Under troubleshoot, advanced options select startup repair. Don't select refresh or reset your PC yet as it might be a Windows update that's trying to install but something has gone wrong on the restart/boot installation.

VivekSharma 13:15 19 Dec 2018

Hi I think the best solution would be to take the computer into safe mode. Turn OFF the pc and turn it back ON. As soon as it comes back On tap the F8 key on the keyboard until you get a screen which displays the different modes. Select Safe mode with networking option. Once logged into the safe mode press windows+r to open run window. type rstrui.exe on the run bar and press ok. This will open the restore window, select a date from the list ( click on " show more restore points to expand the restore date list ) on which the computer was working fine. Press next and let it do its work. Once its done the computer will restart by itself and display a message saying the restore was successfully completed. This will not remove any of your personal documents or data saved in it. But if you have installed any application or software after that particular date which you've selected while restoring the PC will be removed. That shouldn't be a problem, you can download and install them again.

If you get to this point, now would be the time to clean the computer and check for malwares or any threats. Run Hitman Pro, one month free subscription is available. Remove unwanted applications or programs from add or remove program page. Run C cleaner to clean the junk files and also remove temp files from the computer.

Hope this helps!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf