Laptop keyboard problems after update

davidmball9 12:55 06 Jan 2018
Answered

I recently had a problem with my laptop after the major Win 10 update (lost usb mouse). I finally solved this by creating a usb stick boot drive and reloading windows. Last night, my laptop automatically updated again and no I have keyboard problems. typing u gives 4, and other alpha characters come up as numbers also. I tried updating the keyboard driver, but device manager says it is up to date. I then tried going back to previous version, but it would not let me. I then tried system reset and reloaded windows. This did not work, as it would not accept my password, so keyboard was still screwed and I lost USB functionality again so I could not even connect a wireless Keyboard. I then tried reloading Windows from my USB stick again. This has worked, but is anyone else having similar problems? I can't reload windows every time there is an update. Is my machine too old for Win 10 - Fujitsu Amilo Pi 2515, T5450 @ 1.66Ghtz Core2 Duo. 2 GB RAM 32 BIT Windows. Would ipdating the BIOS help? Or should I just go back to Windows 7? Any advice appreciated.

Secret-Squirrel 13:14 06 Jan 2018
Answer

... typing u gives 4.........

It sounds like you've got number lock turned on. There'll be a key to enable/disable it on the keyboard.

davidmball9 14:39 06 Jan 2018

Well yeh, that seems to have been the problem. Thanks. Not sure how it gets turned on automatically, but I will know in the future if I get a similar problem during updates.

alanrwood 16:11 06 Jan 2018

It is controlled from the BIOS. There is normally the option somewhere to turn numlock either on or off when booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)