Laptop has broken screen, need to retrieve data

shrutirahim 05:31 26 Apr 2017

Hi. I have a DELL, XPS Ultrabook (Intel Core i5, Windows 8) laptop and everything was fine until today morning when my screen just turned grey-ish black. I had dropped my laptop and slightly broken the top right edge of the screen months back but everything was working fine. I don't know why this suddenly happened. I have important data in my laptop so I would like to know if there is any way to retrieve the data without fixing the screen? Maybe remove the hard drive? My laptop has an SSD actually instead of a hard drive. I am in desperate need of help as I might have to pay around 650 dollars to fix the screen! I might as well buy a new laptop. But I really need to get the data from my old one.

Thank you

Forum Editor 08:21 26 Apr 2017

You can buy an external enclosure for your SSD for a reasonable price. There are plenty of them to choose from.

Connect the enclosure to another computer to get at the files.

Archonar 08:45 26 Apr 2017

If you have a usb drive lying around that will take the files you could try plugging the laptop into a monitor / tv which will still work if it's just the screen that's damaged. That way you can still use the laptop until a new one arrives and you can move the files to the usb drive ready for the new laptop.

bumpkin 19:26 26 Apr 2017
  Burn-it 23:47 26 Apr 2017

Plug an external monitor into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs