Laptop assistance (operating system?) windows?

Belle-M 16:20 14 Jun 2017

Hi, I have an MSI GS70 which I bought in 2014 and used without any hazards till 2017. Below is a detailed info on my laptop model and specs. GS70 2OD(STEALTH)-002US-GG747016G1T0DX8M ( GS70 2OD-002USK1310000141 ) Product Name: GS70 2OD OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ver.1607(OS build BIOS Version: E1771IMS.709 BIOS Release Date: 2013/09/03 CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M, 2048 MB VBIOS Version: 80.06.54.00.1f,2097152 Drive: HDD, WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0, 931.51 GB Drive: HDD, Intel Raid 0 Volume, 238.48 GB Network: Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller Network: Killer Wireless-N 1202 Network Adapter Power Plan: Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)

My laptop was perfect till I installed windows 10 which I now know I had to check the compatibility to Msi laptops before installing. Then my first problem with the laptop was the booting, and it shutting down after the msi logo. I changed the Boot settings --> Boot mode select and there select UEFI with CSM. That fixed it. I always had little software problems after I installed windows 10 e.g the volume, hdmi , touchpad and projections were all glitch. After the boot repair, the battery suddenly died, swelled up and my laptop looked like it was about to pop. I opened it up, took out the battery, cleaned the fans and it has since been working ok. My current BIGGEST! Problem is that I’m clueless on what to do with the operating system. During my extensive research (obsessed fixer), it became clear that it’ll be pointless going back to windows 8 or 7 mainly because of the future security issues of Microsoft not updating its drivers which meant I had to find compatible drivers to update my laptop to function with windows 10. To my disappointment, MSI website doesn’t have my laptop model on it’s website no more, nor the driver updates. That’s why I included a little detailed information about my laptop. So, which O.S should I use to update my laptop which currently but barely runs on windows 10? My ideal scenario is to return my laptop back to factory settings (just to clean it up), so could you run me through the steps and finally what O.S should I have it run on? ( my ideal choice is still windows 10) I have a file with concrete information of my laptop model and specs which I’m willing to email if needed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Belle

BRYNIT 17:38 14 Jun 2017

If you want to do a factory reset to a previous version and you still have the recovery partition on your hard drive read the instruction manual on how to do a factory reset. You will need to do all updates before updating to windows 10 using the Media creation tool from CLICK HERE you will also need to update all drivers from the MSI web site CLICK HERE (Yes MSI still has your laptop on there website but only supplies drivers up to Win8.1) As you already upgraded to windows 10 you will have a digital licence and will activate your windows 10 as soon as you are connected to the web.

You could also create a bootable DVD or USB using the media creation tool and do a clean install of windows 10, windows will install drivers for most items but it is best to check and make sure by looking in device manager. If you are missing some drivers someone here should be able to help or you could contact MSI as they may still be using parts from your laptop on a newer model with windows 10 and have the available drivers.

lotvic 22:01 14 Jun 2017

Don't forget to copy to an external drive all your personal files/music/vids/emails (and their account passwords) and any program product keys. You will need to re-install any software programs you have, Office, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?