Laptop at 100% cpu due to System (rtoskrnl.exe)

Leah W 17:22 25 Oct 2019

I recently bought a second-hand laptop and did a full factory reset on it. Upon completing the set-up, the fans started whirring at full speed and the cpu usage is constantly at 100% (if I set a maximum cpu usage it will stay at the maximum). Does anyone know how I can fix this? I have tried a few things, disabling Windows Search, enabling my firewall on everything for private networks, and using the Dism command on cmd but no luck. It runs fine in Safe Mode. Thanks so much if you can help.

Additional info:

click here

Leah W 17:34 25 Oct 2019

Forgot to mention but I also updated all of my drivers.

wee eddie 18:01 25 Oct 2019

I would expect that this is related to Windows Updates

Leah W 20:08 25 Oct 2019

Makes sense, just checked and there seems to be a new update which I'll try. The safe mode boot seemed to be a fluke as I retried it and it's at 100% cpu the same way now.

mrgrumpy 11:52 29 Oct 2019

you might find this interesting

click here

CamilaSaunders 11:03 01 Nov 2019

I think this is a type of Software Update. You should most probably check your software updates for this.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique