Hot Topics

Internet Explorer has stopped working

tony-guitar 22:29 10 Dec 2013

Grrrr. This error box has recently started appearing. My pc is 18 months old running Win7. This error box seems to appear every time I go to either Google or Bing (not tried any others). I've tried disabling all 'add-ons' as suggested in another mag, but not yet 're-setting' IE. I believe I have IE11 and this error box seems to coincide with a Windows update around the same time. Is there a cure please? I really don't want to change my browser.

Secret-Squirrel 16:30 23 Jan 2014

" I have google set as my homepage, and as soon as I type anything in the search box the 'internet explorer has stopped working' message comes up...."

It does sound like a problem add-on is causing those issues. As a test, use the diagnostic Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) browser for a while and see whether you get the same problem. If you don't know how to launch it then click your Start button and immediately start typing the program's name. After typing a just few letters it will appear at the top of the list.

If you find that all your problems don't appear when using the No Add-ons IE then it must be an add-on problem. You've got a couple of options to fix this:

Close IE, go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Programs" tab -> "Manage Add-ons" button. Disable all the ones you don't recognise or any that look suspicious. If in doubt you can Google for the add-on's name. Make sure you don't disable any of your security add-ons. It's probably fine to leave all the ones in the "Microsoft Corporation" section enabled.

Or, back in Internet Options, click the "Reset" button at the bottom of the "Advanced" tab. That'll do a very thorough job of resetting IE back to its original state. You won't lose any favourites but all add-ons will be disabled so you'll need to re-enable the important ones like (Adobe Flash) manually and of course any security add-ons.

Best of luck.

Secret-Squirrel 12:30 24 Jan 2014

Yes, you're right Eddie, if the "No Add-ons" version of IE crashes in the same way then I see little point in troubleshooting add-ons or resetting IE. Here are some more options for you:

1) A Google search tells me that this may help: Go to Internet Options -> "Advanced" tab. At the top, tick "Use software rendering....", apply the change then restart IE. Personally, I can't see how that'll help but it's worth trying.

2) As a workaround, don't use the Google or Bing webpages for searching but instead type your search queries directly into the Address Bar at the top of IE and the results will appear underneath. That's been Microsoft's newfangled way of searching for a few years now and you may actually get on with it. If Google's not your default then you set it via Internet Options -> "Programs" tab -> "Manage Add-ons" button -> "Search Providers".

3) If you think this problem started when you were upgraded from IE10 to IE11 then you can uninstall 11 and you'll automatically go back to 10. Go to Control Panel - Programs & Features -> "View Installed Updates". To find the Internet Explorer 11 update quickly, type its name into the search box top-right. Select it then click the "Uninstall" button. You may find however that when IE11 re-installs itself at some point in the future your problem will return.

4) You may have a minor malware infection that's destabilising IE so download, install, update, and run a "Quick Scan" with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - you can get it from here. During installation, if you're prompted to install the free trial of the Pro version then de-select that option.

Secret-Squirrel 13:26 24 Jan 2014

Thanks for the update Eddie. I'm surprised yet delighted that it fixed your problem. I wrongly assumed that you'd get the same problem on every webpage if it were a graphics-rendering problem. I've learned something new and useful today.

If you feel the need to use GPU rendering in IE then the fix I found suggested updating your graphics adapter drivers.

By the way, your Event Viewer log helped a great deal. Without the "ntdll.dll" clue we could have ended up played guessing games for the rest of the year.

Secret-Squirrel 20:38 22 Apr 2014

Mark, fortunately in your case your event log doesn't tell me anything other than IE crashed. There's no extra info there to pinpoint the exact cause.

What are the symptoms exactly? Do you get the same problem when you test using the "No Add-ons" version of IE? If you don't know where to find it, then for Windows 7, click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). If you don't get any crashes in that mode then we can investigate further.

Secret-Squirrel 20:40 22 Apr 2014

"Mark, fortunately in your case..........."

Sorry, I meant to say unfortunately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Pro review

How to paint a portrait study

What you need to work from home on a Mac

Comment télétravailler efficacement sur son ordinateur depuis son jardin ou sa terrasse ?