Internal primary laptop hard drive to external

Christopher Gupta 14:41 20 Sep 2019
Answered

Hello

I took out my internal laptop hardisk as the laptop itself wasnt working anymore and inserted it into a 2.5 inch caddy to use as an external. However, when i plug it in i can see several different partitions appear. (D) local disk 258mb free of 299mb. (E) local disk 9.55gb free of 31.9gb, (F) HP_recovery 2.27gb free of 14,9gb and (G) HP_tools 1.97gb free of 1.98gb.

Q1) I am sure the hard drive is a total 320gb. but i can't seem to find any of the partitions containing this much space?. Is it hidden and i need to find it in setting or somehting? Q2)Before the laptop went down i managed to delete all personal files. Do you think its a good idea to format everything (including windows installation files and recovery tools etc) )and create one partition thats 320gb in size? If so, how would i do that?.

The hard drive is from a HP probook 4320s and i am running win 7

Thanks

wee eddie 17:25 20 Sep 2019

I'm pretty sure that your "stuff" will be on the C Drive.

Now, why the C Drive is not being shown is above my Paygrade

Christopher Gupta 21:41 20 Sep 2019

Thanks for your reply. Just an update. i ran disk management and found the (c) drive you referred too. It was "unallocated" i.e appeared blacked out and had 245gb free. So i followed the steps to try to allocate it by right click and "new simple volume" clicking next and assigning it a drive letter. However when i get to the final step it says "operation is not supported by this object" ?

wee eddie 21:59 20 Sep 2019

Be careful and do nothing until others have had their say

anitsahu 11:10 21 Sep 2019

It’s always a great idea to have an external drive as a backup just in case your PC does ever fail. If you have ever upgraded your computer or simply have old hard drives laying round it’s possible to convert the unit into an external hard drive. As you can imagine by looking at the Internal Hard Drive, its lacks connections and protection for use in the big bad world. The SATA or IDE connections it comes with are only really useful if it is inside a computer. What you need to add is a way for it communicate with other bits of tech- Namely a USB or Firewire bridge.

Regards,

Anit Sahu

prime video app windows 10

Christopher Gupta 11:30 21 Sep 2019

Hi Anit. Thanks for your reply. If you have any solution to my problem id be grateful for your contribution

Hi Anit. Thanks for your reply. If you have any solution to my problem id be grateful for your contribution

Christopher Gupta 11:31 21 Sep 2019

Hi Anit. Thanks for your reply. If you have any solution to my problem id be grateful for your contribution.

wee eddie 11:56 21 Sep 2019

Christopher: Anit's Posting is usually the precursor to a Spam Post

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:20 21 Sep 2019

You already have it connected by a USB bridge so ignore anything from anitsahu

I'm worried that it is showing as unallocated as this should be where you windows files are but because you have removed all your personal files. then the easy option may be just to put it back in the laptop and recover the drive back to system recovery or factory reset options from the recovery partition on the drive. click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)