Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HP) Are out of date.

tynnille 05:41 11 Jan 2017
Answered

Ok so i have a Hp desktop with Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 35 °C Haswell 22nm Technology RAM 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28) Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 2B2C (SOCKET 0) Graphics Acer P206HL ([email protected])

I get horrible performance out of my graphics card and i attribute it to it being way way out of date 26 months or so but after research and testing i cant seem to resoleve the issue. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome

Archonar 08:30 11 Jan 2017

When you say graphics card - do you have a dedicated graphics card in the pc? You haven't listed one so I am assuming not, in which case you are simply using the gpu that is integrated to the Processor which will not give very good performance for graphically demanding processes such as games as it is only designed for very basic graphics.

What are you trying to do with the graphics card? For gaming integrated graphics will struggle in almost all cases, but if you are just trying to watch youtube videos then it should be fine.

tynnille 17:02 11 Jan 2017
Answer

best course of action would be to purchase a graphics card then?

tynnille 17:10 11 Jan 2017

I have a Hp pavilion model number 550-047c is it upgradeable graphics wise?

Archonar 18:01 11 Jan 2017

Yes I would say a new GPU would be the solution. It looks as if it is ungradeable, the motherboard has the required expansion slots, just make sure that the power supply can support the card you are buying.

tynnille 18:14 11 Jan 2017

ok ill take a look into it thanks for the help

wee eddie 00:25 12 Jan 2017

As it is an HP Desktop it will, almost certainly, require a "Reduced size" Graphics Card

tynnille 00:58 12 Jan 2017

i dont need a crazy amount of power im just a causual gamer

Archonar 09:09 12 Jan 2017

Good point from wee eddie, make sure that the dimensions of the card will fit in the case, open it up and measure the available space to be sure.

Having had a quick look at the data sheet, you will almost certainly need to upgrade the power supply as you only have 180W. Almost all graphics cards require at least 300/350W to run, and that is the 'lower end' cards, top spec cards recommend around 750W, and some 1000+ W. I would recommend upgrading to a 350W PSU and getting a card like the new GTX 1050, which will run casual games nicely. Obviously you could go for something older if you'd prefer, just make sure that it will run on the PSU you get. Here is a list of all graphics cards and the recommended PSU Wattage for each of them: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)