Installling Win7 as second OS onto an NVMe SSD

Baloo the bear 02:44 04 Sep 2018

I'm about to build a new PC. If I install Win10 first onto a Samsung 970pro SSD and create a new partition, will I be able to install my so beloved Win7 as a second OS without any hassle? Assuming that I have a retail copy of both OSs. (in the acknowledgement of installing Win7 onto an NVMe drive is being a bit complicated) Many thanks

Jollyjohn 10:18 04 Sep 2018

Depending on what you need W7 for, I would install VirtualBox on W10 and then install W7 as a virtual PC. This avoids the need to reboot to swap OS's. However if you want W7 for gaming, this won't work due to graphics limitations.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 04 Sep 2018

Windows does not like installing an older version after a newer one, if you really need win 7 install it first then install win 10 to a separate partition on the ssd.

Jollyjohn 11:44 05 Sep 2018

I agree with Fruitbat, if you need to install both then install W7 first. Hopefully W10 will then add W7 as a boot option. Control panel - System & Security - System - Advanced System settings - Startup and recovery - There is a box "Time to display other operating systems" Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sega Mega Drive Mini review: Hands-on

How to Cancel Adobe CC

iOS 13 preview: First look at the new iPhone update

Les meilleurs smartphones Android (2019)