Installing windows without optical drive

Adrian98 16:56 09 Nov 2016

Right so I bought a new pc but I didn't get an optical drive with it as I thought (dinopc) would install windows for me so I need help on how to install it, I have the serial key and the CD but need help on how to install it.

Thanks Adrian

Burn-it 19:13 09 Nov 2016

Get someone you trust to copy the CD to a bootable USB drive for you and install from there. It is a lot quicker that way anyway. The DVD is universal, the only things you will eventually need are device drivers for your machine.

Adrian98 20:46 09 Nov 2016

Can you give me a guide on how to do that as I dont really have anybody.

BRYNIT 21:50 09 Nov 2016

You can copy windows from a DVD and make a bootable USB using the Windows USB/DVD download tool CLICK HERE for instruction on how to use it.

As the link to the download Microsoft USB/DVD down load tool is not clear you can download it from CLICK HERE

robin_x 14:46 10 Nov 2016

Or you can make the USB Flash directly with W10 Media Creation Tool (see screenshots)

or

Microsoft download Tool location

Check BIOS/UEFI for USB boot priority over HDD

During, Install delete any existing partitions on main HDD when asked 'Where do you want to install Windows?'

Then select the Unallocated space for the Install

=-=-=-=-=

When, necessary files have been copied from the USB Flash and Install is well under way, pull the Flash drive out.

Otherwise it will boot again during the several restarts.

BT 08:27 11 Nov 2016

Or you could buy an inexpensive external DVD drive for under £20, which will probably also be handy in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch