Hot Topics

Installing a download of Windows 10 on a brand new

AjubaGomes 10:08 03 Oct 2019

I had to replace a failing hard drive in a friend's pc. Unfortunately they only had an oem install of Windows 10, which obviously the Microsoft download site won't accept the product code for. I've looked into it quite thoroughly and it seems they will just have to buy Windows 10. Now here's my dilemma... Rather than just buying it and getting a disk (which would make my job much easier lol) she wants to get it through her college since she can get it for free that way. But her college only offers it for download, no disk. And I'm not sure how to go about getting that download onto the new hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alanrwood 10:42 03 Oct 2019

Normally the download would be an iso file which you then use on another computer to create an installation DVD which you then use to install on the first machine.

x13 19:07 03 Oct 2019

As alanarwood says. link here and follow instructions. No need for a key (say you have no key during installation) as it's tied to the motherboard and will verify automatically. No need to buy Windows 10 again.

x13 19:20 03 Oct 2019

USB or DVD only matters if you don't have an optical drive :) If the PC has UEFI instead of the old BIOS then worth checking the new drive, connected via USB, to another PC to check if MBR or GPT. If you have UEFI and the new drive is MBR then use Windows to convert it. Windows will wipe the drive ready for a fresh install.

x13 11:45 29 Oct 2019

grumpy old man - yes as the key is tied to your account and hardware. During install just click the text that you have no key and it will continue.

Awingedangel 03:49 07 Nov 2019

Maybe he university only offers free Windows 10.iso file downloads,just like Alanrwood said,download iso file then burn it to a disc(It can be USB or DVD/CD),since it can be as a Windows 10 installation media for your computer.i remember clicking on a link at Microsoft to install Windows 10, but unfortunately, it didn't bring me what I wanted,one installation disk is enough,or from here to download Windows 10 on your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra launched: 120x zoom, 120W charging & 120Hz display

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?