Install Windows XP on new SSD without disc

Ron A Crane 03:36 29 Dec 2016

I am replacing my hhd with ssd in my Gateway MA7 MX6124 I have backed up my hhd to my Seagate external hard drive. I have the new PNY CS1311 SSD installed in the MA7 but I do not know how to add the backup to the new drive. Can someone please offer some assistance?

Forum Editor 10:23 29 Dec 2016

When you say that you have a backup of your hard drive on an external drive, what exactly do your mean - did you use software to clone the drive, or did you simply copy it?

Windows XP Mainstrean support ended seven years ago, and Microsoft ceased extended support over two and a half years ago. This makes the operating system vulnerable, as there will be no security updates at all. You would do well to consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows at this point.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 29 Dec 2016

do you have an i386 folder on the hard drive?

Ron A Crane 15:20 29 Dec 2016

I used EaseUS to copy to my external drive. I plan on upgrading Windows by internet download but need to be able to access internet from the new drive first. Maybe there is an easier way?

lotvic 16:02 29 Dec 2016

upgrading Windows by internet download

XP can't be upgraded per se, it has to be a clean/custom install.

Please give more details of what you want to achieve as your end result.

Ron A Crane 16:06 29 Dec 2016

Once I have my laptop back up and running with XP on the new SSD I will purchase Windows 10 as a digital download. I just need to get my existing OS onto my new drive first.

lotvic 16:30 29 Dec 2016

I suggest you download and burn yourself a Windows 10 dvd and try it out before you purchase anything. Direct download from microsoft.com click here

Then if your pc can handle W10, you could either buy W10 retail or you could buy Windows 7, install that and then get a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft's Accessibility site click here as per pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to click here

Burn-it 16:20 30 Dec 2016

Temporarily swap the drives over and boot from the copy if you can. If not you will need to make a bootable CD or USB that can run Easeus and also see the two drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Redmi 8 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleures séries Netflix