I have a problem with my internet/wifi driver

erikjanuari 21:36 05 Feb 2018

Hey everyone,

I seem to have a problem with my wifi. I just booted up my laptop, and it couldn't find any wifi networks (while I knew there were) So I tried googling a solution, and it said that I should uninstall, then install it again my network/wifi driver. As soon as I hit the button "install" after I uninstalled it. A blue screen of death came up. I think this is because I pressed that button. Not sure how or any of those drivers works. Also when I tried searching for the newest software through device manager in windows 7, it said it had already been updated (windows 7)

So my question is, can anyone explain to me what a driver is, what it does, how it works and I how I can stop from this problem happening again. Right now I am connected to the internet but it still says : code 10, this device is not working. Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet #2

Forum Editor 08:59 06 Feb 2018

Put simply, a driver is a collection of files which enable a device to communicate with an operating system, and vice versa.

Have you tried using the Windows restore point facility to roll Windows back to a date prior to the problem - do you know how to do this? It's worth a try.

erikjanuari 13:06 06 Feb 2018

Yes I've done that a couple of months ago then already when the same problem occured. However now the problem has come back. Any other solutions I can try?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 06 Feb 2018

Make and model of laptop? and what wireless card is fitted (properties in device manager will tell you

erikjanuari 11:23 07 Feb 2018

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750 It seems that the network driver I was talking about (LM ethernet gigabit or something like that) is now gone out of the network adapter list from device manager. However, these 4 are also in that same list, but these don't have any warning codes : Atheros AR 5B97 Wireless Network Adapter Atheros Communications Inc.

Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter #3 Microsoft

PdaNet Broadband Adapter June Fabrics Technology Inc.

TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 TAP-Win32 Provider V9

The first line is the name of the network adapter. The second line is the supplier of that network adapter in the properties list.

Is that the info you need?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 07 Feb 2018

Atheros AR 5B97 Wireless Network Adapter Atheros Communications Inc.??

do You mean HB97? this is the correct driver for a windows 7 64bit acre aspire Atheros wireless card click here from the acer site click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61