I can't see my ext hard drive on my windows 10

andy63walsh 16:20 18 Sep 2017

I can't see my ext hard drive on my windows 10 desktop, any ideas?

Matt. 17:05 18 Sep 2017

Has it fallen under your desk? :-)

Matt. 17:10 18 Sep 2017

And now for a more serious answer, is it shown in Disk management?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 18 Sep 2017

does it require a power supply and is it switched on?

Forum Editor 22:28 18 Sep 2017

Moved to the Windows Help forum from Speakers Corner.

andy63walsh 15:52 19 Sep 2017

It is still on my desk! Doesn't show in disk management either, I can hear it moving

Jollyjohn 16:26 19 Sep 2017

I suspect not enough power. Can you connect it through a powered usb hub or can you get one of these - click here a usb lead with an extra connector for more power.

andy63walsh 17:41 19 Sep 2017

it has a power supply and the voltage is ok.

andy63walsh 17:41 19 Sep 2017

it has a power supply and the voltage is ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 19 Sep 2017

have a look in device manager under USB devices it may not be detecting the USB adaptor.

does the drive work in another PC or laptop?

SubJacky 14:58 22 Sep 2017

Engaged in data recovery work, encountered a lot of cases, some hard drives are not bad, even if the file system and partition table are not damaged, but need usb charge for a long time, windows system often do not wait enough time, so let Users mistakenly believe that the hard disk is damaged, but in the mac system, as long as waiting for enough time, do not need to repair the hard disk. Do not need data recovery software, you can access the data. According to experience, on such a simple way, can avoid a lot of blind repair

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?