I can't log into my laptop

Cassie 00:53 25 Jan 2019

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I can't log in to my windows 10 laptop. It says the password is wrong even though I know it's right because I'm able to use the same password to get into the command prompt bit.

I think what's happened is I've created a system restore point then changed my email address to my windows account then gone back to that system restore point and now windows thinks I still have my old email address.

I don't have any other users I can log into. I can't get into safe mode because as soon as it wants me to log in with the profile picture thing it says it's the wrong password.

Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to have to wipe it. I've reinstalled windows and kept my files on there thinking that might work but it hasn't.

If anyone can offer any help at all, it'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cassie

chub_tor 14:39 25 Jan 2019

there are several youtube videos that can show you perfectly legal ways to change your password. This is one of them it is fairly technical and the real action does not start until about 8 minutes in but it is straightforward to follow even if you do not understand all the jargon. Take heed of the early warnings about losing files if you do not do it correctly.

wee eddie 15:16 26 Jan 2019

Two days ago, I couldn't log into this PC. Wrong Password, again and again. So, I went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea and did some ironing, very therapeutic.

Then I sat down and logged in again. This time it worked. I had been missing a Case change, but because I had become so frustrated, my mind locked on the, marginally, incorrect Password.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Wacom Cintiq 22: a bigger budget pen display arrives from Wacom

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?