How to wipe a Sony Vaio hard drive

laptopdunce 22:20 12 Jul 2017
Answered

I can't do it with CCleaner, have decided to wipe my old Sony Vaio windows 7 laptop and sell it on ebay, I was trying to use CCleaner on the drive wipe but it wont let me go ahead, it says Acess denied when I click on both the "free space only" or the whole of Cdrive, (I have 4 DVD recovery disks made for this machine when it was new, I was going to do the 3 overwrite passes (afterhaving take off any photos/docs that I want to keep) but it simply wont let me wipe the drive, there are two drives showing in the CCleaner wipe page, C local and microsoft click to run office only the click to run office drive will let me put a tick in the box next to it but it still comes up with "access denied" when i try to run the cleander - How can I get the HD wiped on this laptop as I have jsut listed it on ebay for ending when I come back with this laptop next week!! thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 10:31 21 Jul 2017

Ihave got my windows 8.1 toshiba making 4 DVD recovery disks now (thats the cheap laptop I only use for printing) but cant find a way to make actual DVD recover disks for the W10 laptop, it only lets you use a USB stick which has to be min. 16gbb which I dont have, thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 12:20 21 Jul 2017

the toshiba laptop only took 3 dvd disks to make the windows recovery disks, despite saying 4!! laptopdunce

laptopdunce 16:57 21 Jul 2017

I got a cheap Toshiba 16gb usb flash drive in the Asda store, I will try and make the windows10 recovery to that, thanks laptopdunce

Macrorit 09:00 07 Aug 2017

Hi Laptopdunce,

I just read through your posts, I'm from the Macrorit support team, btw, You cannot wipe the system disk with the free edition, but you can connect the sony vaio hard drive to the Toshiba laptop and run the Free edition Entire drive or disk option, then you can get the hard drive wiped. If it still fails, you can contact us. We'd lile to help. Max [email protected]

Macrorit 09:01 07 Aug 2017

Hi Laptopdunce,

I just read through your posts, I'm from the Macrorit support team, btw, You cannot wipe the system disk with the free edition, but you can connect the sony vaio hard drive to the Toshiba laptop and run the Free edition Entire drive or disk option, then you can get the hard drive wiped. If it still fails, you can contact us. We'd like to help. Max [email protected]

laptopdunce 14:52 07 Aug 2017

thanks Macrorit, I used this DBAN programme in the end and it worked fantastic, must keep the iso.file on a CD and make kopies of it so I can use this again if ever have to wipe a hard drive again, thanks laptopdunce

Macrorit 02:27 08 Aug 2017

It's good to know that you solved this :)

laptopdunce 09:21 08 Aug 2017

yes, that post from Fruitbat always hits the spot, he knows intuitively what will work! thanks laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €