How to maximized apps in tray from shortcut?

Sepharat 18:12 26 Jan 2017

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a way to maximize an app that is minimized in the notification bar through its shortcut (or a modified one)? By default, if an app is in the background, executing its shortcut doesn't do anything. I need the app to stay open while the pc is awake but to be able to bring it to the foreground from a media center through a shortcut. Is there an option in Windows to change this behaviour or another app that handles it? Thanks

lotvic 19:42 26 Jan 2017

Not quite sure what the problem is that you are having.

maximize an app that is minimized in the notification bar through its shortcut

and

I need the app to stay open while the pc is awake but to be able to bring it to the foreground from a media center through a shortcut

That doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean the Taskbar or the SysTray? and a shortcut is to open a program (start it up) not minimise an open program window.

Mine don't behave like that. If I have several programs opened and their windows minimised, I can click on any one of them in the taskbar to open them up back to full screen and have them in forefront on desktop. Also it's not necessary to actually minimise any as they will behave like sheets of paper and clicking on any in the taskbar brings that one up to the top.

Sepharat 22:16 26 Jan 2017

Hi, Sorry I didn't explain it properly. I mean in the systray, as a background application. The reason why I need it this way is because of how the media center I use, in this case kodi, works. There is an addon for it that lets you launch a shortcut. When it does it, it waits for the application just launched to be closed to resume the media center, otherwise, even bringing kodi manually to the front, it doesn't work as it's kept blocked. Minimizing the app to the systray works for this addon as if it was closed so I configured the offending app, in this case Spotify, to minimize to the systray so I can still control it with my phone and use the speakers connected to the pc when I'm not using the media center. But then I cannot open Spotify again from kodi as the application is already running in the background and the shortcut doesn't bring it up from the systray.

lotvic 22:54 26 Jan 2017

Ok, I understand now. However sorry I can't be of help as haven't got kodi installed so am unable to replicate problem to work out solution.

Hopefully someone will post that knows what to advise.

rdave13 23:39 26 Jan 2017

I'm not sure myself what the setup is. I'm assuming Spotify is minimised in the task bar not the notification area. Try clicking on the Task View button if you're running Win 10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer