How to copy a Windows 7 back-up on Windows 10

shardur 22:37 15 Jul 2018

Hey guys,

I have the following problem: I made a back up of my old Laptop (Windows 7) and want to install that back-up on my new laptop (Windows 10). I made that back-up on a DVD. However, I do not want to reboot my harddrive, I want to keep all my current data and just want to add the back-up of my old Laptop to my new one. Is that possible?

The DVD has the following folders: "BOOT", "PREBOOT", "TVTOS" and a file called "BOOTMGR". Maybe that helps.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Forum Editor 23:21 15 Jul 2018
  wee eddie 03:48 16 Jul 2018

Do you still have the old laptop?

shardur 09:37 16 Jul 2018

The old laptop does not work anymore - so I do not have it

To the Forum Editor of the first post: Will that approach in the article add my back-up to my new laptop or will it overwrite everything?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 16 Jul 2018

looking at the artical link by FE

I think you need to restore to another location not original as it is likely to overwrite the win 10 user folders

Forum Editor 23:29 18 Jul 2018

"Will that approach in the article add my back-up to my new laptop or will it overwrite everything?"

From the article in my link:-

"You’ll be asked if you should restore the files to the “original location.” Should you? If your new PC’s drive letters and user folders correspond exactly to the old one, yes. Otherwise, pick another location."

In your case, pick another location, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ has suggested.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs