How to back up laptop with Blue screen of death :(

Philcarr24 20:33 03 Dec 2016

So I came to turn on my acer Aspire 5535 laptop with windows 10, and I was greeted with a "automatic repair" screen and then a "blue stop code" screen with the error "fat file system". Automatic repair will not work, I have tried to repair using a USB flash drive with W10 installed, and will let me got to the install screen but quickly goes back to the original blue screen of death. All my family photos of the children growing up are on this laptop, is there any way of retrieving this?? Please help as I can't seem to fix this issue.

wee eddie 21:16 03 Dec 2016

Remove the hard drive and install it in an enclosure. Then treat it as an External Hard Drive, plug it into another PC and copy your files. You have just discovered why some of us get all excited about backups!

Jollyjohn 21:41 03 Dec 2016

An alternative is to look for a Linux distro, download and burn to cd. Boot and run as Live CD. This will enable you to copy data to an external hard drive.

vivica901 05:03 09 Dec 2016

Sometimes a poor connection inside is the main reason of blue screen of death. Check whether all the connections are connected properly of not. If this is fine check fir overheating (Computer temperature). Overheating in a graphic card can lead to this situation.

Burn-it 14:05 09 Dec 2016

Post the information from the blue screen and we MAY be able to help fix it.

lotvic 14:14 09 Dec 2016

Copy the files to another hard drive first, and check they have copied ok and will open.

Then you can play with trying to fix the original hard drive without the stress of fearing you will lose the pictures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch