Hidden Files in External Device

Isaacson 09:36 01 Jan 2017

I have an Flash-Based MP3 player (a Cowon M2 if it helps). When I plug it in to the PC (Windows 7, Home Premium) it shows up as an external drive, but only some of the folders/files show up.

I know for a fact that it's operating system is based on Shockwave Flash files, for example, which presumably must be somewhere on the flash drive, but I can't get them to show.

I've tried 'Show Hidden Files' and 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' in the Folder Options but with no effect.

There's no second drive on the device so everything that runs it must be there somewhere.

What could a manufacturer possibly do to hide their system files from anyone opening the flash drive on a PC and is there anything which can be done to un-hide these files?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:55 01 Jan 2017

What could a manufacturer possibly do to hide their system files from anyone opening the flash drive on a PC

Perhaps thee is a hidden partition (no drive letter) try looking at it in device manager or a third party partition manager.

Burn-it 14:38 01 Jan 2017

You will not, and should not see any system files. Any that are there will be in ROM and not available to you since you both have no need to see them and should not be allowed to change them anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple