File conversion for music files

aphrodite42 11:50 07 Mar 2019

I want to copy some music tracks on my PC to my phone. Currently they are WMA and I want to convert to mp3. What is the best free software to do this?

Old Deuteronomy 13:37 07 Mar 2019

Windows media player will do it.

aphrodite42 14:11 07 Mar 2019

Have looked in Windows Media Player but can't see how to convert. Can you give me some guidance please.

theDarkness 20:13 07 Mar 2019

I believe WMP may require an add-on to convert wma to mp3. I haven't used WMP in a long time. Each time you convert wma to another lossy format such as mp3, you will lose audio quality slightly. If you have the original CD you can just convert again (in WMP 12, press the 'alt' key> tools> option> rip music, choose mp3 and best quality, OK, then insert cd and select Rip CD)

If you must convert, you can also try winLAME, FreAc, or Format Factory to batch convert audio files to mp3.

You can drag and drop a folder into most of these programs to convert. The first two handle audio, the last program handles both audio and video. Make sure you select a new destination folder for your mp3 files before you convert, to avoid mixing file formats, and make sure no program is set to delete any originals if you wish to keep them.

I quite like FreAc. If you choose WinLAME, and see duplicate files before you convert, you should close the program and start again. Format Factory does the job but may be more than you really need. Before conversion in any of these programs you may wish to choose custom settings to ensure a decent quality conversion eg output to vbr 0 or 320 kbps mp3.

beeuuem~2 13:26 08 Mar 2019

This is free and works well click here

beeuuem~2 13:27 08 Mar 2019

PS Look for the free version download on the page.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 08 Mar 2019

The free VLC player will also convert your files.

aphrodite42 11:13 10 Mar 2019

Thanks for all your suggestions. Tried several and ended up choosing WinLAME. Got to grips with it pretty quickly and found it easy to use. I now have a lot of my favourite albums on my phone. Would recommend this programme as simple and quick to use.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?