External harddrive wont work on PC COMPLEX

Stephanie-Francies 14:27 19 Feb 2019

I've been having this problem for a while. I have a USB hard drive which used to work with my PC fine, suddenly it didn't and I cant remember when that was. I've done a fresh start, and installed new drivers and it still hasn't solved the problem.

The part where it gets particularly confusing is that the hard drive will work on my tablet fine. so I assumed it was a problem with my desktops USB port, however other USB devices work just fine in the same ports.

When I plug in the hard drive the light will flash on the side of the hard drive so it must be getting some power from the port but nothing will show in IE. If I plug my phone into this port, my phone will open in IE.

Any help is very much appreciated as I've tried everything I can think of.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 19 Feb 2019

2.5 inch or 3.5 inch drive?

does it need an extra usb able for power or an external power connector?

Stephanie-Francies 17:15 19 Feb 2019

It does have 2 usbs coming out of it if that makes sense. Ive always just used the one, though and just using one works on my tablet. If I plug both the usbs into the front of the computer the result is the same as before and it is not recognised

BRYNIT 18:04 19 Feb 2019

Sound like the drive has not been assigned a drive letter on your computer. Go into disk manager and check if a drive letter has been assigned to the drive, if not right click on the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths to assign a letter.

Stephanie-Francies 21:59 19 Feb 2019

Im not sure if what I'm doing is correct but if I go into disk management the following is shown.. I would post a photo but it doesn't let me.

• (disk 0 partition 1)
  • (disk 0 partition 6)
  • lenovo_part
  • Windows (c:)
  • WinRE_DRV

Am I in the right place? The only drive I see is C

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 20 Feb 2019

the fact that you can only see disk 0 means it is not seeing any other drives.

Have a look in device manager to see it it shows the USB bridge device

Stephanie-Francies 11:31 22 Feb 2019

In device manager this is what is displayed:

Universal serial bus controllers - Genesys logic USB2.0 card reader - Intel(r) usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 1.0 microdoft - USB composite device - USB composite device - USB composite device - USB root hub (USB 3.0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 22 Feb 2019

are there any exclamation marks against the composite devices?

Stephanie-Francies 18:19 22 Feb 2019

No and they all say they are working correctly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 23 Feb 2019

try disconnecting the drive then

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here the PC when windows is loaded reconnect the USb drive and see if it is recognised and reinstalled by windows.

restart

martin mcginn 10:57 26 Feb 2019

´╗┐Try this method, hope it works: Step 1: Check the Drive in Disk Management Step 2: Try Another USB Port and Computer Step 3: Troubleshoot Driver Issues Step 4: Create a New Drive Volume Step 5: Format the Drive After the process is done, check to see if the External harddrive wont work on PC COMPLEX is resolved. Also try the following that might assist click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Designing a near-future Kowloon Walled City for Alita: Battle Angel

Microsoft brings Windows Defender ATP to the Mac

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique