External hard drive "possible problem" message

rickf 15:05 28 Oct 2018

Got a seagate expansion hard drive. When plugged in wins10 says " there may be a problem with this drive. In explorer, it is seen as E but when I managed to open it, it says drive is G. This cannot be opened. When trying to go further it crashes the PC. Can't get into disk management to look at it and can't format it either. Any ideas how to save this drive??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 28 Oct 2018

tried it in different ports?

rickf 16:03 28 Oct 2018

yes, just crashes the pc.

wescliff 11:24 31 Oct 2018

Doesn't it give you the option to repair it?

rickf 17:40 31 Oct 2018

Yes it does have a repair option but when selected it just says not responding. I can hear the disc whirling away but nothing is happening. Could it be that the repair function is searching ? I did leave it for quite a while but not responding is the persisting message.Any suggestions

rickf 09:08 02 Nov 2018

Is it repairable at all, I wonder.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:56 02 Nov 2018

Tried it on a different machine?

wondering if its a power problem, so if you can open the cas and connect directly to the PCs SATA port and PSU you might beable to extract its data and see it in disk management.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)