External hard drive "possible problem" message

rickf 15:05 28 Oct 2018

Got a seagate expansion hard drive. When plugged in wins10 says " there may be a problem with this drive. In explorer, it is seen as E but when I managed to open it, it says drive is G. This cannot be opened. When trying to go further it crashes the PC. Can't get into disk management to look at it and can't format it either. Any ideas how to save this drive??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 28 Oct 2018

tried it in different ports?

rickf 16:03 28 Oct 2018

yes, just crashes the pc.

wescliff 11:24 31 Oct 2018

Doesn't it give you the option to repair it?

rickf 17:40 31 Oct 2018

Yes it does have a repair option but when selected it just says not responding. I can hear the disc whirling away but nothing is happening. Could it be that the repair function is searching ? I did leave it for quite a while but not responding is the persisting message.Any suggestions

rickf 09:08 02 Nov 2018

Is it repairable at all, I wonder.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:56 02 Nov 2018

Tried it on a different machine?

wondering if its a power problem, so if you can open the cas and connect directly to the PCs SATA port and PSU you might beable to extract its data and see it in disk management.

rebecca319 07:41 16 Nov 2018

I have the problem similar with you last month, but my storage device is USB flash drive not External hard drive. I cant format flash drive. I tried to format it by Diskpart at first, as you can guess, it failed. I feel very sad at that time. But fortunately, I find a magical free disk manage tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant. The introduction said that it can help users easily format external/internal hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, Memory card, etc. I download it, and successfully format my flash drive. Maybe, it can help you tool!

rickf 09:08 16 Nov 2018

Thanks for the info. I have now sold it as "not working". Neither the time nor the incentive to do more with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

The Best 404 Page Designs: from delightful illustrations to time-wasting games

Powerbeats Pro review

Que faire si le son de votre Mac ne fonctionne plus ?