External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting

Harrison Ruffell 10:10 13 Aug 2016

Hi all, I've had an external hard drive for some months (about 6-7 now) all was fine until recently.

I am on Windows 10, the drive is a WD Elements.

Even in USB3 or 2 port it will end up disconnecting.

I am uncertain as to why but it just keeps doing this, now it didn't do it when I only had it as my main drive but I added a new one some months ago which seemed to take the drive letter of that one (it was D: then turned to E: - don't know if this makes a difference?)

Anyhow, I have tried all of the uninstalling drivers, changing drivers etc. but it will just keep dropping out and won't re-add itself properly until I unplug it from the power and then reboot and plug back in.

I have checked the drive with 3-4 different drive checking programs and it passes them all fine so it is not the drive itself.

So wondering what to do, far from reformatting and putting Windows 7 on I am a little stuck.

Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 13 Aug 2016

There is an inbuilt timer that stops the drive after a period of inactivity, click the drive and it will not respond for about 5 seconds or so. Unfortunately you cannot disable this in the WD elements drives but you can in the WD passport drives.

robin_x 12:39 13 Aug 2016

I created a file DIR.bat containing the command - dir j: > j:\dir.txt

I set a task in Task Scheduler to run DIR.bat and repeat every 5 minutes

It works a treat on my WD 2TB ext drive

(WD20EURS)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Gamescom 2018: Announcements, livestreams and exhibitors

Nvidia's GeForce RTX graphics cards are loaded with boundary-pushing tech

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

Apple : Back to School 2018