external hard drive with 2 usb connetors

conrail 12:31 03 Apr 2019

hi guys, just been given an external hard drive with 2 usb connetors, not sure how to use it, do I use one or both connextors on my windows 10 home laptop? haven't come accross these before, all help and advice appreciated: click here

Secret-Squirrel 12:46 03 Apr 2019

You use both. One is for data and the other is to provide the device the extra power it needs.

alanrwood 12:49 03 Apr 2019

Some USB powered devices need two USB connections in order to get enough input power to run. EG USB2 has a max of 500mA per socket so if the device needs more than 500mA then you need to connect two USB2 sockets to get it to run.

I guess this is the situation unless the external drive also has a power adaptor.

alanrwood 12:50 03 Apr 2019

Hi SS

Sorry our replies crossed.

conrail 16:26 03 Apr 2019

thanks Secret-Squirrel and alanrwood, that answers my question, no external power adaptor, I appreciate your help and advice

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans